Sunday, June 14, 2009

Crampton Gap Shelter to Ensign Cowall Shelter

Sunday, 6/14

AT Miles = 20.7 / 1044.6
Other Miles = 1.0 / 39.7
Total Miles = 21.7 / 1083.3

As I was going to bed last night I heard some thunder rumbling in the distance, but there were only a few drops of rain on the tarp. During the night it cooled off quite a bit and this morning it was breezyand relatively cool and dry.

Today was a really nice day. Other than one reasonably short rocky section, the hiking was easy, and therfe were interesting things to see along the way. I stopped at Washington Monument State Park to see the first Washington Monument, then later I took the side trail to Annapolis Rocks which offered great views and a pleasant place to sit and contemplate the world.

There were a lot of day hikers and weekenders about. I really enjoy meeting and talking to weekenders. Some thru-hikers don't like weekenders. I don't understand that. Maybe they think they're too cool to associate with mere weekenders or something, but I don't think that's really it. Maybe they just get tired of answering the usual questions, but I don't mind. I like talking to people that are still engaged in the outside world. They ask me about thru-hiking, and I ask them about the stories behind the bits of the headlines I see now and again.

The weather is warm and dry and I was planning to do laundry tonight, but the water source is way the heck down the hill and I would have to go get more water to do laundry, so it will have to wait. Hopefully I will pass a water source early tomorrow, and I can do laundry then and still have time for my socks to dry during the day.

Monkeywrench
Allen Freeman
allen@allenf.com
www.allenf.com
allenf.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Judy Konopka said...

It's probably because you remember being a weekender and how thru-hikers influenced you. Now, you're doing the same. In a few years, someone will quit work and do a thru hike because of your positive and friendly outlook.

Michael M said...

I think it is great that you take the time to talk to weekenders. I myself plane a nobo trip in 2011 and find your journal an invaluable source of information and entertainment. My only wise was that I was able to catch up with you on one of my weekend trips. Mikethebookguy

James Phelps said...

I only wish I was lucky enough to be a weekender that ran into you during this hike. Happy trails, Allen!